WINTER SPORTS SCHOOL
The Ridge has offered a Ski School for over 50 years. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced skier or snowboarder, we are happy to help find the best lesson program for you or your family. All ages and abilities are welcome.
Why learn at the Ridge?
Small classes, quality lessons and great fun! Snowboard, skiing, and snowshoe lessons are available.
You Should Know.
- Equipment rentals are available in the lower level of the Hurricane Ridge Visitor Center, North by Northwest Surf and Brown’s Outdoor in Port Angeles, and Kitsap Sports in Bremerton. See our equipment rentals page for further information.
- Be prepared for changes in the weather with extra clothes, gloves, eye protection and sunscreen.
- Bring a snack and drink or purchase a meal at the Mountain View Cafe on the lower level of the Hurricane Ridge Visitor Center.
- Reservations are recommended for private lessons. Contact the Ski School Director at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your date and time. All lessons are subject to instructor availability. Purchase Lessons Here
- 11:00 am and 1:00 pm
- To book a lesson, email the Ski School Director at email@example.com to reserve your date and time.
Skiing, snowboarding and snowshoeing.
Create your perfect day with a private lesson. Learn how to improve your skiing and snowboarding skills in a one-on-one setting — or with a group of your friends and family — while enjoying the beauty of Hurricane Ridge and Olympic National Park.
WHY TAKE A PRIVATE LESSON?
You call the shots. Want to learn the basics? Eager to give the terrain park a try? Enjoy skiing and riding more with personalized coaching and instruction that fits your needs and expectations. Purchase Here
Hurricane Ridge’s multi-week programs are pretty awesome! You get the same instructor every time and you ski or ride with the same people each week. We have three, 3-week sessions available starting on the first weekend of January, February and March.
11:00 a.m. – Saturday 3 consecutive week program
11:00 a.m. – Sunday 3 consecutive week program
Drop in Private lessons
Just give us your ability level and we will do the rest. Focused, personalized instruction with a maximum of 6 people per instructor. Solidify fundamentals or tackle that nagging soft spot in your abilities.
1:00 p.m. – Saturday drop-in lessons
1:00 p.m. – Sunday drop-in group lesson
Our three week consecutive group lessons start at 11:00 on Saturdays and 11:00 on Sundays. Drop in lessons begin at 1:00 on Saturday and 1:00 on Sundays. Private lessons can happen at either 11:00 or 1:00.
Plan on signing up at least 1 hour before your desired lesson start time as we do not allow sign-ups less than 30 minutes prior to the lesson start time. Really there is no time that is too early. Better off to be too early than too late and miss out on the fun.
On weekends and holidays, lessons are booked out of the Mountain Operations Center located across the road from our Learning Center. For reservations during non-operating hours email the Ski School Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
Yes. Please make sure you get a lift ticket when you check-in for your lesson. It is included in your lesson price.
Yes. Group and private lessons operate on a first-come-first-served basis and it is recommended that you reserve your lesson well in advance to ensure instructor availability. Contact the Ski School Director at email@example.com to reserve your spot.
Lessons vary in length from 1 to 1.5 hours depending on class size and lesson type. With private lessons, you can make them as long as you want with each additional hour discounted.
We schedule all of our lessons to have a student to instructor ratio of a maximum 6 to 1 but strive for 4 or less to provide you with individual support while learning how to ski or snowboard.
It depends on your learning style and preference. Beginning skiers and riders usually do quite well in a group environment, but private lessons allow us to tailor your lesson to your individual learning style and preferred pace.
Yes, if you are taking a private lesson. Email the Ski School Director at firstname.lastname@example.org 48 hours in advance to ensure instructor availability.
Make sure you are well-rested, fed, hydrated, and clothed. Also, be sure to arrive AT LEAST an hour before your desired lesson start time.
Ski and Snowboard Attire Suggestions
- Dress in layers, putting your lightest layer on the bottom. The weather here changes quickly and dramatically, so you will want to be prepared for anything and everything!
- Polypropylene and wool are great for inner layers.
- Fleece is a great layer!
- Wear a hat even when it’s sunny out.
- A helmet is highly recommended, especially for kids. It can save a life!
- Goggles are a must even when it’s sunny out.
- Buy hand and feet warmers to put in your boots and gloves.
- A neck gator is key on snowy, windy days. Pull it over your neck and face.
- Don’t ski in jeans or other cotton pants. If you don’t have a pair of ski pants, we highly recommend purchasing a pair.
Thick ski socks do not translate to warm feet. If your socks are too thick, you will cut off the circulation in your feet and they will sweat, making them colder in your boots. Wear a thin pair of socks and you’ll be much more comfortable.
No, we do not. However, these items are available for rent and/or purchase in the lower level of the Hurricane Ridge Visitor Center or at many stores in Port Angeles.
Please pick up your child at the lesson meeting location (where you dropped them off). Parents are responsible for picking up their children at the lesson meeting location on time.
Equipment rentals are available in the lower level of the Hurricane Ridge Visitor Center, North by Northwest Surf and Brown’s Outdoor in Port Angeles, and Kitsap Sports in Bremerton. See our Equipment Rentals page for further information.
We accept cash, local checks, and most major credit cards.
For the latest road conditions call (360) 565-3131 and follow ONP on Twitter @HRWinterAccess . Parking at Hurricane Ridge is limited to 175 spots and the Entrance Station at Heart o’ the Hills typically opens at 9 am weather permitting. Arrive at the Entrance Station early to secure your parking spot at the summit. The Hurricane Ridge Learning Center cannot be responsible if you show up late and are denied entrance to the Park in time to get to your lesson. Lesson refunds are not allowed if you get there late, so please plan ahead.